The Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is seeking a highly-motivated individual to fill the position of Director of Lands and Resources in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director, Lands and Resources ensures compliance with the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (GCLCA) and is responsible for the overall protection, management and reporting related to the Gwich’in Settlement Region’s natural environment, including the protection of water quality, land resources, fisheries and wildlife habitat, cultural and heritage resources licenses, permit conditions, relevant legislation, regulations, directives, policies and procedures.
The Director provides supervision, oversight, advice, and support to Lands and Resources staff in the direction and implementation of the department strategies, including:
- Managing the preparation, negotiation, interpretation and implementation of agreements and contracts as they relate to the GCLCA, Government, and other First Nations and Trans-boundary agreements
- Liaising between the Executive, Government, Industry, Designated Gwich’in Organizations and Participants on land and resource related matters
- Planning, measuring, reviewing, implementing, and managing all Land, Resources and Environmental activities
- Negotiating and preparing land management agreements, environmental assessments, resource agreements, and compliance related activities
- Facilitating the permitting process while leading consultations & overseeing all issues as they relate to Land, Resources and Environment
- Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to improve communication and working relationships to advance and achieve GTC’s strategic goals and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Resource Management, Land Management, Law or similar field
- 5 years’ of work experience in Lands and Resource Management or a related field plus a minimum 3 years of management experience
- A valid class 5 driver’s license and a satisfactory criminal records check is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of Gwich’in history, cultural and political environment and GCLCA are assets
SKILLS & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to develop and impart vision, direction, and policy both internally within the organization and to a broader audience
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; employing strong listening, verbal, written, and public presentation skills to convey information on a variety of complex issues, in a manner that is concise, clear and easily understood by the audience
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize a high volume workload in a demanding fast paced environment
- Solutions oriented, strategic thinker with ability to lead others and perform in a matrix organization with multiple stakeholders
- Formal negotiations skills training and/or demonstrated negotiations accomplishments
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Geographic Information Systems and Satellite Imagery
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered including allowances of $20,000 per annum, health and dental benefits, and generous leave entitlements.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Priority Consideration will be given to qualified Participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. We thank all who apply but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.